Cyberpunk inspired work

Anticipating the game... Cyberpunk 2077. I've Started on a own piece of Cyberpunk art. Still a work in progress but I like where it is going. Textures done in substance painter. 

This render was done in Blender. I wanted to see if what I could achieve in Blender. I am really impressed but this wonderful piece of software! She is rigged in Blender now so time to work on the rest of her appearance. Which I am likely to do in zbrush.


Still evil

Finally found some time setup the shaders in octane.


It is still a little cumbersome to setup but I found this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OUI74DN_2E  which helped me. You have to skip some of the intro which is only links and stuff but in the end he shows a nice shader tree setup in octane what and shows you what to do with the exported maps from substance painter and which settings to use.

Working on something evil

While working on my texture skills in Substance Painter I might make it sexy and evil. Render in Marmoset. Still a work in progress. Inspired by Coop's Devil Girls.


This was the first setup focusing on skin detail and the eyes.

I've tried to add some more demon details with subtle fire cracks.
  

In this one I've made a custom alpha in substance designer to create the ornamental details. Tweaked the hair a bit but I am thinking of redoing it. Still a work in progress but I like where it is going.


 


Working on the garment. Getting there but needs more tweaking.

Blocking in the outfit

Still a lot of work to do but the outfit is progressing nicely.

Hair Progress

I’ve been working on the hair some more. I did a detail pass in Zbrush and baked out the normal map. I see in this render it just needs a little more refinement and I think I need create a color base with polypaint to break up the solid nature of the hair now. But I am heading in the right direction.

It is funny how Overwatch, a game that I play, seems to creep in to the concept.

Hair second pass

Getting there.

Hair base mesh

So I’ve created the base for the hair on top of the zbrush build up. It proved to be a nice guide to get an idea how to build it up. It still looks like she is wearing bananas but I am sure if I add one more layer of detail it will look good.

Another thing that changed are the teeth. At first I wanted to keep the simple version but with the current texture I felt like she needed some proper teeth. I am really happy with how the eyes turned out.

Next up finishing up the hair and start with her outfit.

Up close

Progressing, but still a long way to go. Still having lots of fun!

Recovery

After the latest crash I managed to recover the base and redid the painting. Like I said sometimes redoing things work out better. I now have more control over the appearance in a non-destructive way.

Texturing in progress

Since the uv’s were done I was able to start some texture work. (Sorry for the missing Eyeballs, ). I’ve replaced the eyebrow mesh with just a textured one. This will make it way easier when I create facial shapes for expressions, besides it is much more in style with the original drawing.

For texture work I prefer to work in Substance Painter because it is really powerful and straightforward. It also gives me a lot of freedom because of baking some texture information.

Playing around in c4d r19.

With Maxon’s release of Cinema4Dr19 we have Physically-Based Rendering in the viewport as well. It is a real time rendering method which provides you with instant feedback over what your light is doing as well as your Cameralens (Depth of Field). This will be such a timesaver and looks awesome.

To be continued…

PS: A real lesson again. Went out for groceries and the whole Substance Painter crashed on me again. CTRL-S is your best friend! Always SAFE SAFE SAFE! Not all is lost, the base is still there. Well the repetition is a welcome practice I guess.